Vidačić, S., Brumec, S.: Hybrid Model of the Mobile Information System in a Complex Warehouse System, Proceedings of the 19h International Conference of Information and Intelligent Systems (CECIIS 2008), September 24-26, p.333-339, Varaždin, 2008
Modern warehouse systems are becoming more and more complex. There is great need of methods and technologies that will ensure storage of goods at optimal locations, efficient recovery of the stock in hand, better transport of goods within a warehouse in a unit of time, more efficient use of manpower in the processes of goods’ manipulation and accurate record-keeping regarding the current state of supplies in a warehouse. A solution to the mentioned requirements has been provided by the development of the warehouse information system (IS) based on mobile technology implementation. Given the possibilities of the mobile technology, such approach has no longer any alternative. This paper presents a hybrid model of the warehouse mobile IS that is based on the following premises:
- The warehouse mobile IS needs to be designed as a relatively independent subsystem of the overall IS in an enterprise.
- The interaction between the application of the warehouse mobile IS and the Major Application of an enterprise’s IS should be established via a special mobile IS database acting as a target database.
- The IS Major Application of an enterprise and the application of the warehouse mobile IS may be developed independently, within different development systems.
- There must be a feedback between the IS Major Application of an enterprise and the warehouse mobile IS.
- The feedback system ensures the necessary double-checking of all entry/exit transactions in a warehouse.
The basic features of the hybrid model of the warehouse mobile IS are as follows:
- A variety of database types relative to the Major Application of an enterprise and the application of the warehouse mobile IS.
- Various development systems of the Major Application of an enterprise and the application of the warehouse mobile IS.
- Mobile information technology of different manufacturers, that requires specific approach to the application development, etc.
The development of the presented hybrid model of the warehouse mobile IS to the level of a software product, and its successful implementation in a demanding enterprise, as well as the bad examples of similar solutions in practice, in fact confirms the quality of the developed warehouse mobile IS and may serve as a model for the development of similar systems. In view of the fact that the introduction of mobile technology into the IS of a complex warehouse makes all processes in a warehouse dependent on the mobile technology, this paper also provides a review of certain problems relative to the implementation of available ICT systems that directly affect the functionality of an enterprise as a whole.